Teak Shower Floor: Transform Your Bathroom Into An Exotic Space
Teak shower flooring is a floor constructed from tropical hardwood which doesn’t thrive in all climates, and therefore is highly sought-after. It’s among the strongest woods and has a number of advantages as it’s resistant to pests, water and decay.
This isn’t the beginning of the cap when pertains to the advantages of teak. It is utilized for flooring as well as furniture.
What Is A Teak Shower Floor?
An Teak Shower Floor isn’t actually a flooring made from teak but an insert made from teak. The insert is made of slats which are rolled out as bamboo mats. It is also customizable to become an edging tray. It’s all about your shower’s shape, dimensions that you want your shower to be and the length of time you wish the teak flooring to be.
Pros And Cons Of A Teak Shower Floor
Naturally teak is an important source with an obvious list of cons and pros. However, when it comes to shower flooring the list of cons and pros is far more varied. Find out the reasons why you should buy and not purchase teak shower flooring.
- Beautiful This one is clear. Teak is an incredibly beautiful wood, particularly when properly taken care of. Maintain it cleaned and oiled, and you’ll be able to get the most gorgeous shower flooring has ever been seen.
- Durable It’s not a fact that teak is among of the most durable woods on the market. It’s not as easily scratched or chipped unlike other types of wood. It’s a good wood that lasts for an extremely long time.
- Water-Resistant Shower floors made of teak are exceptionally water-resistant and suitable for wood. Most woods can mold within months, but teak seldom expands or molds when exposed to water. But it is important to ensure that it is well-protected.
- Pest-Resistant teak is pretty insect-proof since it’s water-resistant. It doesn’t absorb moisture like other woodsdo, therefore cockroaches, termites and other insects aren’t drawn to it. In addition, it’s difficult for them to enter.
- Rustic and Historical The final word is that teak is an excellent wood with its own unique history. The knowledge about teak will cause you to want it more, because it’s just gorgeous. It’s an element of Asian tradition with a rustic look.
- not impermeable Although it’s water-resistant however, teak isn’t totally waterproof. It is possible for water to pass through but it won’t remain or expand. There is a decrease in the amount of water that passes through. But it’s not completely immune.
- difficult maintenance – it requires much time and effort to maintain teak in top form. It is essential to clean and oil it often. If you don’t have the time to complete this task it will last , but it won’t appear like it does.
- Don’t Use Bathroom Cleaners as it is being kept in good condition, it’s recommended not to use the bathroom cleaning products on teak. It’s much safer and more effective to buy an exclusive cleaner designed specifically for teak. If you don’t, you could lose the money.
- gaps in shower floors Not a good idea If you’re not the type of person who takes the shower in and out each day, then the teak floor might not be the best choice for your bathroom. It’s because bacteria could be able to grow beneath the floor and pose a threat to those who use the bathroom.
- Pricey Finally, teak is among the most expensive hardwoods on the market. You can’t get it for inexpensive and it is available with such tiny boards and can deceive people into thinking that you’re receiving a great deal.
The teak timber requires special care and it is important to maintain its polish frequently. It will require special polish made specifically for teak wood. It’s not difficult, but it must be handled carefully so as not to cause damage to the wood teak.
Step 1: Cleaning
Prior to polishing the wood you should clean the wood with a gallon water and a tiny amount of dish soap. Clean the wood lightly and then wash it off by using the shower. Then, let for the wood to air dry prior to proceeding with the next step.
Step 2: Applying Oil
Begin by following the steps for the teak oil polisher. It is usually a matter of gentle rubbing of the wood using the teak oil the same way you would polishing a shoe made from leather. It is also common wait for it to dry for about an hour.
Step 3: Polishing
In the end, make tiny circle to polish oil that has dried. Polish until you can see the shine. The shine will not only last for a long time, but will also safeguard the wood. Teak is naturally oil-rich and it and it thrives in teak oil.
How To Install A Teak Shower Floor
If you’re looking to design the perfect teak shower flooring You can! Teak can be purchased at most hardware stores , if they don’t stock it however, many of them offer pre-made slats that are the kind you’re looking for.
Step 1: Measuring
This crucial step should be repeated. The shower floor should be measured and note it down somewhere. Next, measure it again and determine if it’s the same. Take this note while cutting the boards, and draw an outline if you have to.
Making a diagram is an excellent option when it comes to building. In order to keep everything clear and well-organized can result in less mistakes at the end. Therefore, take your time to do it.
Step 2: Planning
The slats should be approximately 1 inch from each other. They should also have 1/2 inch or less to each end. This means that the whole enclosure will have to be 1 inch smaller than the floor of the shower. In terms of spacing consider this.
Set your boards out on the back of a measuring tape or cardboard on the floor of your shower. Make sure you mark them with an inch between them. This way, you won’t need to be concerned about whether your calculations are correct. You’ll be able to see what you must do.
Step 3: Cutting
Then, it’s time to begin cutting. Cut slats that are 1-2 inches long that run the long way around your shower. Then, spread them out so that they fit perfectly. Create three or two bracing boards to support the back. Then, lay the slats down and mark them.
Step 4: Screwing Them In
Attach the slats to the bracing boards in order to secure them. You now have an insert. Utilize the insert by placing inside the bathroom every time you’re ready to make use of it. However, it’s best to avoid leaving it in the shower all the time.
Take it out to clean it every week. Look for any signs of mold and determine whether it is in need of polishing. This is the perfect opportunity to polish. Every week, you can make sure that the teak floor of your shower last for years if you do it properly.
Other Wood Shower Floor Options
While teak is generally preferred however, there are a handful alternatives to wood shower flooring alternatives that work the same way. They are extremely durable and water resistant which makes them great alternative to tiles.
As teak, cedar is an extremely durable and water-resistant wood that is commonly utilized in bathrooms. It thrives in colder environments where there is lots of moisture and snow which is why it is adept to harsh environments.
The cedar resins which are naturally made make it more durable and rot-resistant property than other kinds of wood. This makes it a great wood shower flooring that smells fantastic and is a must to say.
White oak is an incredible hardwood that is virtually completely impervious to moisture. This is due to the fact that it is a wood with pores that are very close. It is more sturdy than spongy as a softwood that has larger pores.
Hinoki is not just water-resistant Japanese wood that is used for flooring, it is also believed to possess the ability to heal or purify. This makes it a great choice for a shower floor made of wood as well as bathrooms generally. It is commonly employed in saunas as well as other similar projects.
Choosing Your Shower Floor
If you love teak shower floors , but you want to play it safe You can build shower floors, shower surrounds or make use of small furniture for your bathroom.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)FAQ
Do Teak Shower Floors Get Moldy?
The floors are resistant to water for wood. The majority of woods can mold within months, but teak seldom molds or expands when exposed to water. However, it is important to ensure that it is well-protected.
Can You Clean Teak With Vinegar?
With a teak cleaning solution or a homemade solution made of hot water and vinegar,, cleanse the surface using the help of a soft cloth. Allow the vinegar solution to sit in the teak for approximately 15 minutes prior to cleaning the surface with the sponge to match the grain of the timber.
Is Teak Good In A Walk In Shower?
Teak is a great option for shower benches due to of its water-resistant qualities. Teak mats for showers is a great option as the wood is high amount of rubber-like resins which make them slip-resistant. They are also immune to bacteria or mold and is a major benefit.
How Do You Get Mold Out Of Teak?
Mix together a solution that contains oxygen bleach. One cup of bleached powder for one gallon hot water can remove dirt algae, mildew, and mold. It will also remove most of the wood staining or sealers on teak. Stir the powder into the water until it’s fully dissolving.
Is Teak Wood Waterproof?
Teak is unique among woods. It is not just it a durable, strong wood, but it also produces the oil it needs and has a large wax content. It is the perfect outdoor furniture material since teak oil makes it impervious to water and inaccessible for wood-eating insects.
Teak Shower Floor Conclusion
Teak wood is great for shower flooring. If you’re in search of an improvement to your bathroom, teakwood would be the ideal choice. Shower floors are versatile and will give your bathroom an exotic beach-like feel.